Monday, June 4, 2012

Smeared and Smudged Skull Appreciation Day Blog Hop

 Photobucket

It's finally here - The Smeared and Smudged Skull Appreciation Day Blog Hop!

This is my first blog hop so I hope I do this correctly!!! I love creating collages the old fashioned way with scissors, glue and paper scraps. Lately, I have been obsessed with using skulls in my artwork. Luckily for me, other people feel the same way. Hence, this great blog hop.

                                                  BLOG ROLL


Terra
Tori

Black Dragon
Monique

Helen
Lady Brayton
Fiona
Christine
Jane
Judy
Alison
Susan
Andrea
Smudger Challenge
Laura
Lisa
Kristy
Steph
Glittery Katie
Lisa
Kapree
Ms. Ruin
Kathi
Bombshell Stamps Blog
Dianne
Donna
Nydia
Lady Coral
Suzi
Julia
Patti
Miko
Renee
Wendy
Christina
Hazel
Skye
Wenchkin
Betsy

Scrapbook Stamp Society


I created some family heirloom jewels for this skelly hop.

Pendant Necklace and Cameo Brooch

To create a pendant and brooch you will need to:

One:

Cut or punch six oval shapes from thick paper. I used an oval paper punch that measures 2" x 1/5" and a page from a damaged hardcover book for my paper source.

Two:

Cut one shape out of colorful scrapbook paper. This will be your background paper. I used part of a digital stamp called "Plague of Death" from Smeared Ink for my cameo design. I printed the design on scrapbook paper and cut out the center skull design with scissors. Glue your design onto the background paper.

Three:

Stack your oval shapes. Glue the bottom two shapes completely together. Add the next four shapes but only glue in the center of the shapes. We are not trying to make chipboard. You want your pendant/brooch to be textural and pliable.

Four:

Glue your colored design completely to the top of your stack.

Five:

Varnish the front and back of your pendant/brooch. If you have an inkjet printer, beware that your ink may smear if you are not careful. This happened on the necklace but I liked the "grungy" look so I left it.

Six:

Finish your jewels with embellishments and hardware.

Wear your skully creations with pride.


Cameo Brooch
side view
Pendant Necklace
backs



Thank you for stopping by and please leave a comment. I hope you have been inspired to try your hand at making either a brooch or pendant.

Now keep those heads rolling and move on to the next artist on the blog roll -





34 comments:

Wendy said...

Blog Hop Day! Woo Hoo!

Uniquely Yunikua said...

the cameos are great! very inspiring ideas!

Laura B said...

Gorgeous pendant and brooch! And thank you for sharing how you made them, too.:)

Corinne said...

what wonderful jewelry, just love the pendant and brooch!
Hugs

Monique's art said...

Beautiful pendant and brooch, love them

Anonymous said...

These are seriously awesome. The entire blog is awesome! I can see why you are able to sell on Etsy! :)

I Don't Do Straight said...

Two gorgeous cameo's, I especially love the pendant with the tassel:)

DonnaMundinger said...

These are gorgeous! I'm partial to the tassel too. and thanks for the tut. Lovely work. xxD

Croms' Cubby Hole said...

fab pieces of Jewellery Wendy - the writing is white on a white background for that bottom bit. TFS xx

Nydia said...

Such lovely pendant and brooch, loved them both!

Happy First Blog Hop! :o)

Kisses from Nydia.

N Valentine Studio said...

Wow, I love that you made it into a tutorial! Thanks for sharing they turned out great!

Suzi McKenzie said...

I'm so glad you joined the hop, your brooch and pendant are gorgeous, i think i might have to try my hand a making something similar. Thank you for the inspiration
hugs
Suzi
xxx

Kathi said...

Those are very cool. I especially like that you finished the backs as well a the fronts!

Delightful Designs by Katherine said...

Great job. Thanks for the hints. I find the smearing occurs sometimes too.

Laura Coral said...

Amazing brooch and pendant, I love them. Great Creations

happyscrapper said...

Thanks for the great tutorial. I will have to try. These are gorgeous.
Hugz,
Christine Garner

Jenn Borjeson said...

Oh these are just AWESOME, what a fabulous gift. :)

Andrea C said...

Love your family heirlooms, they are super cool and look amazing too. x

GlitteryKatie said...

Fabulous!!! Did you enjoy your first blog hop??!

LisaVeronica said...

really nice projects! great work. xxlisa

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Renee said...

Wendy beautiful pieces, but I have to confess that I really luv the steampunk skull that you featured in the previous post. I also enjoyed looking through your Flickr gallery. Thank you for sharing.

Susan said...

Wendy, these are FAN TAB U LOUS!!!!
Great creations, and thanks for the TUT!
New follower here. :)

I'd proudly wear either one.
I like the butterfly ones also :)
Susan

DK Spins said...

Love your skully family heirloom jewels, Wendy! They're gorgeous!

~Lady B~ said...

Awesome creations! I got lost for awhile looking over your blog. You have some amazing stuff! You have a new follower. Happy Skull Appreciation Day!

Steph said...

Awesome projects! I took a peek at the rest of your blog too, wow love all the broaches you've created I think the steampunk one is my fave :)

Ms. Ruin said...

Thanks for the tutorial...great ideas...really liked your projects!

Web Services said...

Your post really helped me to understand about this. It has great details and yet it is easy to understand.That's what i was looking for. I will definitely share it with others.Thanks for sharing.

KristyLee said...

Wendy,
You did an awesome job on your Pendant Necklace and Cameo Brooch! Very very cool! Great job!
Peace,
KristyLee

KC said...

awesome broaches! and thanks for the tutorial I'm going to have to try to make me some!

Julia said...

I love them!!!
Hugs,
Julia

febe said...

Cool pendants :)

Limo Hire in Sydney

Alison said...

Love your jewelry, and thank you for sharing how you made them! I think they are fab!

Laura Coral said...

Hello and Congratulations! You were the second winner in my hop giveaway. Although you didn't win the altered tin, you won The Tim Holtz Idea-ology HALLOWEEN ADORNMENTS! Congrats. Check my blog post of the winners for more information